Wednesday, June 30, 2010

They have the Ten Commandments too, ya know...

Queen Sheba
http://www.queenshebas.com/
1704 Broadway
Sacramento, CA
95818-2320

916) 446-1223


So, when I usually mention this next style of cuisine, most people don't know what to expect. Stereotypes, biases, confusion; nobody quite knows how to react to these simple two words: Ethiopian food. What is Ethiopian food? Amazing, that's what! And whenever I want some delicious enjeera or awazie tibbs, there's only one place I'll go: Queen Sheba restaurant.

I have been going to this restaurant for many years which is odd to say considering it was discovered randomly. My family and I often frequented the Mongolian BBQ located in the same plaza and, on a whim, my brother and I decided to eat at Queen Sheba. Having never experienced Ethiopian food before, we didn't know what to expect. Looking over the menu I remember being treated with kind customer service, a slight explanation of how to eat (you eat with your hands), and the style of food. There's nothing quite like going to a restaurant and getting an explanation prior to ordering. Plus, there's nothing quite like going to a restaurant where they expect you to eat with your hands. How I so ever love it. I've already named one of three dishes I highly recommend but here they all are in full detail:

Introduction) I am going to introduce the two ways in which Ethiopian cuisine is served. The traditional way is served on enjeera bread, a spongy sourdough that one uses to grab the entree and eat with one's hands. The entree is served on top of a plate-long sized enjeera and served with enjeera on the side. The other way is served over rice and eaten with a fork. The following reviews will be based on the assumption that the former is chosen.

1) Awazie Tibbs: I've often said if you douse anything in enough berbere sauce, I'd eat it without contention. Given the choice, however, I'd want my berbere sauce served in the style of the awazie tibbs. (Did that sentence flow? I don't know, it sounded good in my mind...oh well, moving on). This is my favorite dish at this restaurant and, for some time, prevented me from trying other dishes as it was just that good. To quote from the menu, it is, "Tender chunks of lean beef sautéed with special berbere sauce, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and herbed / spiced butter." This has the perfect blend of spices and meet all covered in the tangy and spicy berbere sauce. It is a tad spicy so be wary if you are highly sensitive to spicy foods. For me, it is just the right amount of zing. The beef is cooked to a tender yet firm texture, making each chunk of beef easy to chew but not so easy that it vanishes. Served with a side salad and another vegetable side (usually lentils [yes, not a vegetable, moving on] or corn), this is a very filling meal. Also, if you'd prefer to not have beef, there is a chicken and lamb version.

2) Key Wot/Firfir: These are unique dishes and ones that almost made me stray from choosing the Awazie tibbs as my default. The flavor is more spicy and not as saucy as, say, the Awazie Tibbs but it is a delightful experience that should not be missed out on. In this dish the texture of the meat is a bit more like steak and a definite choice for people who love the flavor of quality beef. This dish definitely relies more on the flavoring of the meat that the Awazie tibbs which relies more upon the flavor of the sauce. The reason I have two listed is that the Firfir is a variation on the Key Wot in which smashed bits of enjeera are included in the dish itself. Personally, I prefer the Key Wot but the Firfir is such a nice variant on it that I felt they should be included together.

3) Miser Kik Wot: Oh lentils...how I love your perfect blend of legume and meat substitute. There was a time, I remember, when most legumes (those most bean-like) where my greatest enemy. It was you, my separated category of legume, that opened my eyes to the wonder of your kin. 'Twas also at the Queen Sheba restaurant that I first chanced upon such heavenly taste...*ahem* Okay, enough of that. Seriously. I could live on the lentils served at this restaurant. Cooked and served in a slightly-thick sauce, the flavor is not too salty and not too bland. They have a bit of a kick but have you begging for more. The lentils, I'll admit, go amazingly with the rice but work just as good with the enjeera.

Price Ranking: Looking at the menu, you can see the prices range from about 8-12 before tax and not including drink. All-in-all, not a bad price considering you get all the enjeera you could want and an almost guaranteed food coma. Plus, they have a lunch buffet of vegetarian food that only costs $7.50 so I highly recommend it. I know their vegetarian buffet saved me during lent!

Scores:

Food: 9/10

I love the food here, without a doubt, and it is always a treat to eat it. However, it is a restaurant that is very niche and, when looking for a wide variety of flavors, doesn't always supply the greatest of selections. For this reason the score is lessened to a 9 but it should be noted that it isn't measured based on the quality of the food, just the variety of flavors.

Presentation: 4.5/5

The restaurant is nicely decorated with Ethiopian art, music, and even instruments adorning the walls at times. In fact, I have purchased two said instruments during my times visiting the restaurant. It is only sad that I often have to park in the residential area behind it to get to the restaurant, but it is definitely worth the little walk. The restaurant has a nice touch and very comfortable when seating large groups.

Service: 5/5

The nicest people run this shop and every employee I have come into contact with has had the most charming personality and/or smile. On constant visits I have sometimes been given larger portions or other complimentary sides and what nots. The owners have to be some of the nicest restauranteurs I've ever met. I always feel welcome and like family.

Final Score: 18.5

One of my favorite restaurants in the Sacramento area that, unfortunately, I haven't frequented too often lately. No matter how many times I get the same dish, I'm always as happy as I was when I first had it. Great food, great service, and the ability to eat with your hands; how can you go wrong? Sacramento is lucky to have Queen Sheba restaurant, without a doubt.

1 comment:

  1. I used to always pass by it but it looks so ghetto looking :P I've always wanted to go inside though.

    ReplyDelete